Saturday 16 July 2011

Beauty is divine



I finally went to the exhibition The Cult of Beauty: The Aesthetic Movement 1860-1900 yesterday (it closes tomorrow), and I was entranced - in particular by this exquisitely beautiful sculpture of Icarus by Sir Alfred Gilbert.

Beauty is impelled to find a face to dwell in:
there, delight is such
that I seek nothing more;
I would scour the sky to share with the elect this living grace.
The works of their Creator bear his sign
So if my soul burns fiercely with love of all fair shapes,
then judgement from above Must hold me guiltless:
because beauty is divine.


[From La Forza d'un bel viso a che mi sprona by Michelangelo]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]