Tuesday 11 October 2011

I just used my hair



"I never did cheesecake; I just used my hair."
Veronica Lake

George Hurrell's 1942 portrait of star Veronica Lake shows her glossy blonde tresses splayed out like a halo, highlighting her trademark asset that she often wore loose and brushed over one eye. In fact, her hairstyle became such a huge trend in America that health alerts were issued claiming the style was causing accidents among female factory workers during World War Two. (Vintage Seekers)

Her icy beauty is encapsulated forever in Mr Hurrell's photos, and despite her sad physical and mental decline and untimely death in the 1970s Miss Lake's beautiful image lives on forever.

Glamour of the Gods exhibition at The National Gallery

Veronica Lake on AllRovi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]