Monday 19 August 2013

The curtain descends, ev'rything ends too soon, too soon



We celebrate the birthday today of Mr Frederic Ogden Nash, radical, anti-establishment, anti-religious satirist and poet of amusing ditties such as these:

"Candy
Is dandy,
But liquor
Is quicker."

"There is something about a Martini,
A tingle remarkably pleasant;
A yellow, a mellow Martini;
I wish I had one at present.
There is something about a Martini,
Ere the dining and dancing begin,
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth -
I think that perhaps it's the gin."


And a perfect one for a Monday morning:

"Your hair may be brushed, but your mind's untidy,
You've had about seven hours' sleep since Friday,
No wonder you feel that lost sensation;
You're sunk from a riot of relaxation."


But camp?

Ah yes... for Mr Nash also wrote the lyrics for this extravaganza (with music by Kurt Weill) - it's Speak Low:


Ogden Nash (19th August 1902 – 19th May 1971)

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Ogden Nash:

    What would you do if you were down a dark alley with Caesare Borgia

    And he was coming tworgia...?

    "I'm terribly sorry for you but I can't help laughing."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The man was a genius:

      "I would live all my life in nonchalance and insouciance,
      Were it not for making a living,
      which is rather a nouciance."

      Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]