Friday 12 September 2014

Actors ought to be larger than life







"An actor who knows his business ought to be able to make the London telephone directory sound enthralling."

"Actors ought to be larger than life. You come across quite enough ordinary, nondescript people in daily life and I don't see why you should be subjected to them on the stage too."

"When I meet people they say 'I thought you put that voice on for TV'. But you can't put on a voice like this - you're just lumbered with it."


RIP a great character... And a great voice!

Sir Donald Sinden CBE FRSA (9th October 1923 - 11th September 2014)

2 comments:

  1. Adorable old ham. I loved him on stage, screen and TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I also loved Griff Rhys Jones' impersonation of him on Not The Nine O'Clock News:
      "One of the great things about being me is that I can pronounce things like 'Pre-Byzantyne' without sounding like an absolute tit!"

      Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]