Sunday 26 March 2017

Der Mutter Schwur!



It's Mothering Sunday again.

Oh dear! It would appear she's not happy - maybe the card and flowers never arrived..?


German:

English:

Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Sarastro Todesschmerzen,
so bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr.

Verstoßen sei auf ewig,
verlassen sei auf ewig,
zertrümmert sei'n auf ewig
alle Bande der Natur.

wenn nicht durch dich Sarastro wird erblassen!
Hört, hört, hört, Rachegötter, hört, der Mutter Schwur!

The vengeance of hell boils in my heart;
Death and despair blaze around me!
If not by thee Sarastro feels the pains of death
Then you will be my daughter nevermore.

Outcast be forever,
Forsaken be forever,
Shattered be forever
All the bonds of nature

If not by thee Sarastro turns pale!
Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye, gods of vengeance, hear the mother's oath!


Scary.

Queen of the Night Aria on Wikipedia.

4 comments:

  1. may 14 is mother's day here. yeah, those muthas are NOT happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She glues me to the spot every time I hear this. Thanks for posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is the only soprano I've heard who can do that... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]